Towards the end of 2016 certificates were awarded to a group of committed volunteers who had developed a set of skills to enable them to support students in developing reading skills. Through workshops, dialogue and mentoring the volunteers:
- developed an understanding of phonological awareness
- explored how to pronounce sounds in English and isiZulu, considering the similarities and difference
- developed an understanding of activities that can be used to teach and reinforce knowledge of sounds
- explored a variety of reading strategies
- developed an understanding of what is meant by, and how to facilitate shared reading
- developed knowledge and understanding of how to manage behaviour which respects the rights of the child
Well done Sthandile, Nqobile, Sandile, Smangele and Uyabongela [from left to right].